Bethesda Update, 2nd Day

by claudia

We have heard from so many people through the site and are so touched by how far reaching this news has spread. Matt is in good hands here and we are being well taken care of, too. Dale, Carolyn and I have also talked about how nice it was to reconnect with family and friends in Michigan a couple of weeks ago and how much it helps to know all the people who are concerned for Matt and praying for him. We are taking a little break in the waiting room right now because the nurses needed to run some tests and we should be able to see him again around 4:00. We are seeing little signs of improvement and plan to post a full update later today.

From Carolyn:

They are giving Matt little "sedation vacations" today. About every four hours or so they will continue to take him off sedation (although he's still on some pain meds) for about 10-15 minutes to see what kind of response they can get. Although he's opened his eyes before, today he seemed to really be aware of us, and would try to look at us, follow us, squeeze hands, and use his eyes to communicate. It was uplifting to see him moving around so much after seeing him completely out of it for so long, but heartbreaking at the same time to see him so uncomfortable.

Matt's friend Casey found an article today about Matt and his fellow Marines; His friends are working on getting it into the Tualatin Times on Thur. and the Oregonian on Mon. possibly.

Just want to take a second to say how AMAZING everyone here has been; the doctors have been very caring and great at communicating, the Marines have basically led us from door to door - getting us everything we could possibly need inbetween, and we have met so many people affiliated with different support groups that have really reached out to us. Matt is clearly in very good hands, and in a difficult situation we really couldn't ask for a better group of people.

From Carolyn:

Tomorrow Matt goes in for more surgery, its mostly prevention and cleanup for now. The doctors told us to expect him to go in every 48 hours for a little while. While he's in the O.R. we are going to be meeting with another family; they're son is basically in the same situation as Matt and he is a Marine as well who is actually in the same Company as Matt. I guess he has similar injuries, but about 2 weeks "ahead" of where Matt is. It will be nice to connect with another family going through a similar experience and hopefully inspiring as well.

From Carolyn:

The outpouring of love, good thoughts, and prayers have been absolutely amazing. We have never doubted the support that we've had from our friends, family and loved ones, but to feel everyone's genorosity in this way is incredible. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, because I know that we would not have made it this far without love, support and prayer. When we first got into Germany we were told that Matt's chances were not good and that people with his kind of injuries did not go further than where he was... But since then we've made it farther than most and I believe that he is stronger than the average 'Joe', and Matt continues to amaze and surprise me :)